Welcome!

Welcome to our blog!

8.04.2010

How can I say "dar as cartas" in English ?
 
TO CALL THE SHOTS
 
 
“tomar as decisões importantes ou deter o poder em determinada situação"
  • If you want to talk about the job you have to see Peter. He is the one who calls the shots around here.
And if you want to listen to this expression, take a look at "Circus" by Britney Spears and you will see it. Here is the abstract  from the music:

I'm like the ringleader,
I call the shots (Call the shots)
I'm like a firecracker,
I make it hot

TO DEAL THE CARDS

  “dar as cartas num jogo de baralho”
  • Hey ! you’re cheating again, and I won’t let you deal the cards !
And if you want to listen to this expression, take a look at "Umbrella" by Rihanna and you will see it. Here is the abstract  from the music:

[Verse II]
These fancy things,
Will never come in between
You're part of my entity,
Here for infinity
When the war has took it's part
When the world has delt it's cards
If the hand is hard, together we'll mend your heart
Because...



“Naipe” suit

“Embaralhar as cartas”: to shuffle the cards

“Um baralho”: A deck

“Um trunfo”trump card 

“Ter uma mão boa”To have a good hand



No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us to improve our blog by setting your opinion here.Go ahead!