Welcome!

Welcome to our blog!

11.20.2013

Pronouns

Pronouns



     One of the first things you learn in English are the pronouns, but sometimes the students get confused about how to apply them on a phrase and make some mistakes that can be easily corrected. A pronoun is used to replace a noun. Sometimes it is also used to avoid repetition.
     Here are some pronouns and their uses. Let’s learn a little bit more?!


Personal Pronouns


1. Personal Pronouns: These pronouns are used to start a phrase, no matter if it’s a negative, affirmative or interrogative one. They are the subject of the phrase.


Personal Pronoun
Example
I
I’m tired.
You
You don’t like vegetables.
He
He lives in São Paulo.
She
She didn’t understand.
It
Is it cute?
We
We haven’t bought the car.
You
You aren’t teachers.
They
Are they great singers?


2. Reflexive Pronouns: These pronouns are used to talk about an action or situation referring to the subject.


Subject Pronoun
Reflexive Pronoun
Example
I
Myself
I made that cake myself.
You
Yourself
Please, do it yourself!
He
Himself
He fixed the car himself.
She
Herself
She, herself, decorated the house.
It
Itself
It can’t get water by itself.
We
Ourselves
We painted beautiful pictures ourselves.
You
Yourselves
Yourselves should do the job.
They
Themselves
They will rule the company themselves.


3. Prepositional Pronouns: These pronouns are used, commonly used in any part of the statement and they are referring to person that can be the direct object or indirect object of the phrase.


Personal
Pronouns
Prepositional
Pronouns
Example
I
Me
Maria is living with me for a couple of weeks.
You
You
I wasn’t able to talk to you.
He
Him
I love him!
She
Her
Her mother is not a great example.
It
It
Please, you can’t bring it in.
We
Us
Why doesn’t she talk to us?
You
You
I’d like thank you all!
They
Them
Please, bring them on!!!

3.1. Prepositional Pronouns (Object Form): These pronouns are used, commonly used in any part of the statement and they are referring to person that can be the direct object of the phrase. In this case you just have the direct object.


Personal
Pronouns
Prepositional
Pronouns
Example
I
Me
Are you talking to me?
You
You
I don’t know you, sorry!!
He
Him
It was a pleasure to meet him.
She
Her
I can’t wait to meet her.
It
It
She can’t afford it.
We
Us
Nobody understands us.
You
You
See you later!!
They
Them
I don’t get on well with them.


     3.2. Prepositional Pronouns (Indirect Form): These pronouns are used, commonly used in any part of the statement and they are referring to person that can be the indirect object of the phrase. In this case you have the direct object and indirect object.


Personal
Pronouns
Prepositional
Pronouns
Example
I
Me
Can you do me a favor?
You
You
Did she give you the message?
He
Him
Could you ask him a moment?
She
Her
I gave her a present.
It
It
I bought a new house to it.
We
Us
Maybe she gives us the pleasure to travel together.
You
You
Did he give the gift to you?
They
Them
Sarah brought a package of Cd’s to them.

4. Possessive Pronouns and Adjectives: These pronouns and adjectives are used to show the possession. And they can be used in two forms:


      4.1. Possessive adjective + object: Here you have to use a noun otherwise the sense is not complete.

    
Personal
Pronouns
Possessive
Pronouns
Example
I
My
Is that my book?
You
Your
That’s your car, isn’t it?
He
His
I don’t know if that is his car.
She
Her
Susan is her mother.
It
Its
I think it is its food.
We
Our
Those are our brothers.
You
Your
These are your sisters.
They
Their
I don’t know if those are their suitcases.


     4.2. Object + possessive pronoun: Here you have use the noun before the pronoun to avoid a repetition.


Personal
Pronouns
Possessive
Pronouns
Example
I
Mine
That book is mine.
You
Yours
This car is yours.
He
His
My name is Robbie and his?
She
Hers
I don’t know if that house is hers.
It
Its
That’s not my food it’s its.
We
Ours
Those dogs and cats are ours.
You
Yours
Those problems are yours.
They
Theirs
This is my car, those are theirs.

5. Demonstrative Pronouns: These pronouns are used to show the existence of an object or a person and they are classified into plural or singular. And you also have to observe if the object(s) is (are) near or far from you.


     5.1. Singular Demonstrative Pronouns. They are always related to one person or object.



Proximity
Demonstrative
Pronoun
Example
Near (Close)
This
This is my new house. Isn’t is beautiful?
Far (Distant)
That
That is her mother. Her name is Sheyla.



     5.2. Plural Demonstrative Pronouns. They are always related to two or more objects and people.



Proximity
Demonstrative
Pronoun
Example
Near (Close)
These
Whose cats and dogs are these?
Far (Distant)
Those
Those are my mother and my father.

6. Relative Pronouns: These pronouns are used to connect phases replacing person, thing, place, time, possession and cause.


Reflexive Pronouns
Replacing
Example
Who
Person
A doctor is a person who takes care of people.
Which
Thing
Where is the book which I bought in Boston?
That
Who or Which
·        A gardener is a person that takes care of gardens.
·        Where is the book that I bought in Boston?
Where
Place
São Paulo is a city where people can find a lot of cultural options.
When
Time
My childhood was a time when I was happy and I didn’t know!
Why
Cause or reason
He is the reason why she’s crying.
Whose
Possession
That’s the boy whose mother is a hooker


7. Interrogative Pronouns: These pronouns are used to build questions and generally used at the beginning of the phase.


Interrogative
Pronouns
Meaning of the
Pronouns
Example
What
Thing
What is your nationality?
How
Way
How are tou, Ted?
Why
Reason / Cause
Why are you crying?
Which
Choice
Which color do you prefer?
Who
Person
Who is your favorite singer?
Where
Place
Where were you born?
When
Time
When did she start using drugs?
How much
Uncountable nouns
How much money do you have?
How many
Countable nouns
How many cats do you have?

8. Indefinite Pronouns: These pronouns are used to replace people, things and places when you don’t want to be specific.


Indefinite Pronoun
Use
Example
Anyone / anybody
Negative or interrogative
Has anyone called me?
Anybody hasn’t called you.
Someone / somebody
Affirmative
Somebody is calling me pressingly.
No one / Nobody
Affirmative with negative sense
Nobody deserves a stupid brother.
Any
Negative or interrogative
Is the any salt on the food?
No, there isn’t any.
Some
Affirmative
There are some cats here.
No
Negative Affirmative with negative sense
There’s no Brazilian singer on the Billboard.
Anything
Negative or interrogative
Is there anything strange in the air between us?
No, there’s not anything.
Something
Affirmative
Something strange is going on here.
Nothing
Affirmative with negative sense
Nothing is better than freedom.
Anywhere
Negative or interrogative
You can’t live anywhere if you don’t respect the cultural aspects.
Somewhere
Affirmative
Somewhere over the rainbow...”
Nowhere
Affirmative with negative sense
Drugs lead you to nowhere.
A lot
All forms
There’s a lot of tension here.
Every
All forms
Every time I say goodbye I die a little bit.”
Each (one)
All forms
Each one has to take care of his or her own life.
Certain
All forms
There’s a certain doubt in the air.
More
All forms
Can you bring me more cookies?
Much
All forms
I know that much is yet to come.
Many
All forms
Many boys think they are irreplaceable.
Less
All forms
There are less green areas in big cities.
Little
All forms
“Give a little bit of your love to me”
Few
All forms
Few people really understand the meaning of the word education.
Such
All forms
Jesus, this room is such a mess.
Whole
All forms
The whole world is fighting against the violence.
Every
All forms
Every girl I know is looking for a lasting love.
Everyone
All forms
I can’t feel sorry for everyone here, just a few of you.
Everything
All forms
You can’t have everything you want.
Everywhere
All forms
I can’t forget him, everywhere I look he’s there.
Several
All forms
She bought several books, I don’t know what the themes are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Help us to improve our blog by setting your opinion here.Go ahead!