This blog has been thought out by two English teachers in order to shorten not only the distance between the teachers and students but also to narrow the distance between the student and the language and its cultural, educational and some other aspects. So, get up from your couch and go improving you English, no matter if it's British or American!
Welcome to our blog!
Phrasal verbs: CUT OFF
1. to cut, to separate [cortar, separar]
Diana’s mother cut off a piece of cake to give to her.
A mãe de Diana cortou um pedaço de bolo para dar a ela.
The carpenter told his assistant to watch out for the saw because he could cut his finger off.
O carpinteiro disse a seu assistente para tomar cuidado com a serra porque ele [o assistente] poderia cortar o dedo fora.
2. to interrupt, to stop someone from speaking[interromper, cortar a fala de alguém]
Every time Frank tries to speak, his little sister Cindy cuts him off.
Todas as vezes que Frank tenta falar, sua irmãzinha Cindy o interrompe.
3. to block or prohibit someone or something to pass, esp. a car [“cortar”, “fechar”, referindo-se à direção de veículos]
Christopher told us he was cut off by a crazy driver on the highway so he missed his exit.
Christopher nos contou que foi fechado por um motorista maluco na estrada e, assim, perdeu a saída.
4. to stop a utility from being provided to someone, esp. electricity, gas, water, phone line etc. [cortar o fornecimento de eletricidade, gás, água, linha telefônica etc.]
Because Brent hadn’t paid his bills in a long time, his electricity was cut off.
Como Brent não vinha pagando suas contas fazia muito tempo, sua eletricidade foi cortada.
5. to be unable to finish a phone conversation because the line is suddenly disconnected [ter uma conversa telefônica interrompida, “a linha/ligação caiu”]
Phil was talking on the phone with his girlfriend when he was suddenly cut off.
Phil estava conversando no telefone com a namorada quando, de repente, a linha caiu.
Sally was just about to tell her friend Norma what had happened at the party the night before when she got cut off.
Sally estava prestes a contar a sua amiga Norma o que tinha acontecido na festa na noite anterior quando a ligação caiu.